Monday, September 27, 2010

The end of the food shelf

This December it would be seven years since I started to volunteer at the food shelf the Monday before the fourth Tuesday of the month.  I have only missed a handful of times. 

When I first started going I took the kids, and a little girl I took care of during the day, with me because Dad was in school. Spark would have just turned three and Dancer would have been just about to turn seven.  After Dad started working, if he was able to be home with the kids on the food shelf day, I went alone.  When they got old enough to stay home alone with him sleeping in the house I always went alone.  This was my one day out a month for just me.  I saw friends and would go out to lunch afterwards.  Oh, how I looked forward to that once a month.   Last year, or maybe it was two years ago, Dancer started going with me.  Together we enjoyed the day volunteering and going to lunch with friends. 

The church where the food shelf is held has had some staff changes.  Just as we were wrapping things up the coordinator told us with tears in her eyes that she was quiting her job and didn't know if the church would be continuing the food shelf after the new pastor came or not. 

Those of us who go out to lunch every month of course vowed that we would still get together for lunch on these Mondays since we have been doing it for so long.  I hope so, but you know how things go.  

No comments: