Thursday, September 23, 2010

You're my little potato

When I was pregnant with Dancer, Dad would sing this song to my stomach.

You're my little potato, you're my little potato
You come from underground, you come from underground.

The world is big, so very big,
It's so new, so new to you.

You're my little potato, you're my little potato,
You come from underground.

After Dancer was born and she would cry, one of us would comfort her and sing this song which often helped to calm her down.  Dancer cried a lot when she was just a wee thing.  Looking back now I wonder if she had colic, as we would often sit up all night rocking and singing until early morning.  Early morning like 5:00 a.m. when she would sleep for a while and then I would drag myself back out of bed and start again.  Thankfully this only lasted about four months and I don't mind crying babies.  Actually I loved sitting up in the dark alone with her.  We lived in a town then and our house was part way up on a hill so I could look out the living room window at all the lights of the town and wonder who else was sitting up comforting a baby.   I had also just finished six weeks of bed rest where we worried our baby might not make it to the point where we would be up all night with her so it was a welcomed relief to have her in my arm and not my stomach anymore.

When I was pregnant with Spark I would like to say that Dad did the same thing.  He did, just not to the extent he did with Dancer.  When I was pregnant with Spark I ran a child care and by the time Dad got home at night he would take Dancer out to play and I would collapse on the couch.  Spark was also a different baby, he slept soundly and usually early in the evening.  I would get him back up to nurse again before I would go to bed.  When he got up in the middle of the night to eat, he was all business and then back to bed.  I remember sitting and rocking him after he was asleep just so I would have those memories of dark, quiet nights with my second little potato.

No comments: